When the crazy late in the season snow storms finally stopped, I was excited to have nice weather so we could start our outside activities. Unfortunately, the rain has stopped our outside adventures once more.
So, when we are stuck inside yet still. a favorite thing we like to do is bake. Baking teaches while being fun at the same time.
Today, we baked French Shortbread Cookies. I wanted a change from the usual sugar or chocolate chip. We used our fun new cookie cutters to give it the “French” style of shortbread.
I let the older kids do the measuring and the little ones get to mix. It’s messy, but the kids even enjoy cleanup since they know the prize is some yummy treats!
I think we will make these again, they are light and a great little cookie to dip in milk!
- ½ cups butter
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3¾ cups all-purpose flour
- Combine butter, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl and cream until blended
- Add the egg yolks slowly while still mixing.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Turn the mixer off and add the flour.Mix on low until the flour is completely incorporated.
- Remove the dough from the bowl.
- Form into 4 log rolls and slice 1¼ inches wide, or roll out onto was paper if using cookie cutters.
- Bake at 350 until golden brown.